Sunday, March 3, 2013

A New Bath Routine

When Little Bear was six weeks old she developed eczema.  We've been battling flare ups ever since.

A friend of mine's daughter has eczema, so I've been pumping her for advice.  She said that her number one recommendation is a daily shower, immediately followed up by Eucerin to keep it in check.

More specifically for infants....I have been reading recommendations by moms of infants with eczema to do a 15 minute daily bath in lukewarm water.  So my darling had her first lukewarm bath this evening.

You're apparently supposed to keep the worse spots of inflamed skin as submerged as possible.  (Little Bear's legs were easy, but I kept having to pat her forehead and cheeks with a wet wash cloth.)  After fifteen minutes (we did ten, as her water became downright frigid), pat dry, and immediately cover their skin with whatever salve works for them.  (We used pediatrician recommended coconut oil.)

Little Bear did not take to her bath very well this evening, crying real tears for the first few minutes.  I thought perhaps the water was too cold, but then I sat her up to wash her neck and back.  Her crying immediately ceased, and she actually played in the water.  So needless to say, the rest of her bath was spent propped into a seated position.  (So fun and cute, let me tell ya!) Turns out my petite four month old thinks she is too big for the bath sling now!  :-D

Tears resumed when I had to lay her down to put her diaper back on, but I'd say the lukewarm bath a success!  (And I'm getting pretty skilled at dressing her in a propped up position!  She's such a "big girl"!)  Here's hoping that a daily lukewarm bath, followed up by a dousing of coconut oil, does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment